If you’ve ever heard of edibles, you’ve almost definitely heard of weed brownies. If you don’t want to worry about going to the store for your baked goods, you can make this iconic treat in the comfort of your own kitchen! Just gather some simple ingredients, follow a few steps, and you’ll be munching sooner than you can say “chocolate!”.
If you’ve watched a movie mentioning weed in the past few decades, you likely already know about weed brownies. Even though they look like any other brownie at the grocery store, these snacks can have you smacked for hours. At first, it might seem like there’s a lot involved in making a brownie infused with weed, prompting the uninitiated to visit the dispensary to buy them ready-made. We’re happy to tell you, though, that making them in your own kitchen is simpler than you’d think, not to mention a fun time.
Before you dump the contents of your grinder into a box of Duncan Hines Double Fudge, hang on a sec. To draw out cannabis’s full potential in edibles, it must be decarboxylated.
Decarba-what? Decarboxylation is basically a fancy way of saying that the herb needs to be heated to fully activate it to its psychoactive form. Think: A joint won’t get anyone high unless it’s lit on fire.
This recipe makes 16 potent brownies. While they’re delicious, we don’t recommend you eat more than one at a time. If you’re new to all this, eat a small one. And be patient. It could take up to 90 minutes for the brownie to digest and the high to hit you.
Also, different strains of marijuana have varying levels of THC, so they can impact each person differently.Trusted Source That, combined with how long it takes for the effects to kick in, and it’s easy to take more than intended.
We don’t mean to kill your buzz, but some adverse side effects of ingesting too much THC include motor impairment, extreme sedation, agitation, anxiety, cardiac stress, vomiting and, in rare cases, psychosis.
Best weed brownie recipe #1
- 1/8 ounce finely ground cannabis trim
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened, quality chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 mint leaves, minced (optional)
Pro tip: If you’re not keen on the classic flavor and scent of weed, add finely minced mint leaves to the batter; it will offset the cannabis flavor.
- Preheat oven to 240°F (115°C). Spread cannabis evenly on a baking sheet. Bake 50 minutes (if using less cannabis, check oven after 35 to 40 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add decarboxylated (oven-baked) cannabis and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Strain cannabutter through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a small glass measuring cup or bowl. Discard strained cannabis solids or save for cannabis tea.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease a 9-by-13 inch glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place chocolate in a large glass mixing bowl and melt in the microwave or over a saucepan of boiling water.
- Add cannabutter to melted chocolate and mix until combined, then mix in coconut sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Mix in flour, and walnut and/or mint, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then cut into 16 pieces. Store leftovers — clearly marked if there are others using your kitchen — in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for several months.
Best weed brownie recipe #2
- 50g cannabis butter
- 100ml water
- One package of brownie mix (note the amount of butter, water, etc. your mix requires and proportion accordingly)
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet/brownie moulds
- Cooking spray
- Set your oven to 180ºC (approximately 360ºF) and allow it to preheat.
- Scoop your cannabis butter into your mixing bowl, then pour the water onto the butter.
- Add the brownie mix. Then, using your whisk, stir everything together until a thick batter forms.
- Pour this batter into your baking sheet or brownie moulds. Use cooking spray or an equivalent to make sure the batter doesn’t stick.
- Once the oven has reached 180ºC (360ºF), place the sheet or moulds into the oven. Allow your brownies to bake for about 40 minutes. To check if they’re done, use a toothpick to poke into the centre and see if any batter sticks to it. If something sticks, it goes back in. If not, you can take the brownies out (if you haven’t already) and turn off the oven.
- Allow the brownies to cool on a plate for about ten minutes. Voila! You’ve got a fresh batch of some delicious weed brownies.
Best weed brownie recipe #3
- 1 cup (8 oz, or 2 sticks worth) cannabutter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter (or cannabutter), softened
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 cup cannabutter.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Spread batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until sides start to pull away from the edges and the center has set.
To Make Frosting:
- Combine 3 tablespoons softened butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 cup confectioners’ sugar.
- Stir until smooth.
- Frost brownies while they are still warm!
These brownies are amazing! I bake them at 350* for 30 minutes with NO problems. I had a favorite brownie recipe. I am under a doctors care for uncontrollable epilepsy, and traditional meds and 2 surgeries have still not controlled my seizures. The dispensary agent here in Toronto formulated the recipe for me and how much to eat as a dosage for me. She was aware I baked them at 350*, and said it was not going to hurt the thc. If I eat more than my dose, I can feel the high…so, it’s still working! Thank you for this recipe!
For those making brownies: don’t need to decarb. Just infuse into your choice of oil (I use coconut oil at 150degF for 12 hours). Then use a commercial brownie mix (which typically calls for 1/2 cup of oil). Then (instead of baking at 350degF for 30 minutes) bake at 240degF for 1 hour 10 min. The decarbing occurs while baking.
In my opinion the most important aspect of making great weed brownies is the pot butter you are using. Once you have made butter you can simply pick any brownie recipe and replace the cooking oil with your butter in equal parts. If I’m lazy then I get a box of Betty Crocker and add some of my favorite treats like peanut M&M’s or walnuts to the recipe.