Sometimes, the unexpected can stop one from enjoying the benefits of a good hit. For instance, running out of rolling paper or breaking the glass bong. In times like this, a little bit of creativity and crafting a homemade pipe from every day things at home or the kitchen could save the day.
There is no limit to the ingenuity of the human mind. Once set, there is always a way. Some people though do not make pipes as a temporary means to smoke cannabis. It is also a fun thing to do. Whether you are wanting to get trippy with high THC strains or mellow out with some medicinal high CBD strains, a good homemade pipe may help you out!
How To Make 9 Different Homemade Pipes
Over the years, and mostly for the sheer fun of it, many ingenious DIY pipes have appeared. Others, meanwhile, have put on new twists on the classics.
1. Apple Pipe
Perhaps the most recognizable homemade pipe is one crafted using a piece of apple. A timeless classic that has been around forever and remains incredibly popular today. It does not require special tools or anything expensive, and it is easy to make.
- Any variety of apple
- Knife, stick, key, or screwdriver (anything that can carve a hole)
- A lighter
- Prepare an apple. Any kind of apple will do but for the best possible outcome, use a freshly picked one. Twist off the stem to expose the natural bowl shape on top.
- Carve the bowl. Using a knife or a screwdriver, carve a hole from the top part halfway through the apple. To avoid breathing in plant matter, place a small screen on top of the bowl.
- Make the mouthpiece. At the side of the apple, poke another hole to serve as the mouthpiece. It should connect with the first hole made from the top, creating an “L” shaped tunnel within the fruit.
- Carve the carb. Some people prefer bongs with a carb hole. To do that, continue to push the mouthpiece hole all the way through the apple effectively forming an inverted “T” shape tunnel.
2. Candy Pipe
A homemade pipe boasting of a sweeter and fruitier kick has taken the social media by storm. In particular, this candy pipe has mostly appealed to the younger generation. Not only is it appetizing but also cheap to make.
- Starburst candy (or any soft, taffy candies in rectangular packages)
- Preparing the candy. Unwrap each Starburst candy. Be sure to wear gloves because it is sticky. Optionally, it can also be held using the wrapper.
- Molding the pipe. There are two ways to do this: (1) Candies could be stacked side by side and compress until it sticks together. Then, squish one more at on one end to serve as the bowl. (2) The Starburst candy could also be molded into a singular mass and formed into the shape of a pipe.
- Make the bowl. On the end that will serve as the bowl, poke a hole halfway through the shaft.
- Connect the mouthpiece to the bowl. From the side, use the same stick to skewer the shaft until it connects to the hole to form an “L” shape tunnel.
- Refrigerate. Let the candy pipe cool in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This helps to harden it and prevents it from being too sticky to handle.
3. Gravity Bong
Gravity bongs are perfect for parties, impress your friends by enabling them to smoke their Amnesia Lemon or Blueberry Feminized from. Not only that, but it also delivers a somewhat smoother hit.
There are two kinds of gravity bongs – the bucket bong and the waterfall bong. Both employ the basic principles of physics and require water to operate. Therefore, using it comes at a cost – the possibility of making a mess.
- Box cutter or scissors
- Two different sized plastic bottles
- Aluminum foil
- Create the two chambers. Cut off the upper half of the smaller bottle and the lower half of the larger one. A bucket could also be used for as an alternative to the large plastic bottle.
- Fill with water. Fill the lower half of the large bottle (or the bucket) with water.
- Create the bowl. Fashion a bowl out of the aluminum foil. Poke three small howls at the bottom to allow airflow. Make sure it could easily be removed before smoking.
- Join the two Chambers. Submerge the small bottle into the water-filled larger one. Then, load the bowl with herbs.
- Fill with smoke. Light the bowl then gently raise the small bottle. This creates a vacuum that draws the smoke into the empty chamber.
- Draw the smoke. Once the small bottle is filled with smoke, remove the bowl and place the mouth over its opening. Slowly push back the bottle back into the water. Smoke is now thrust into the mouth.
- Box cutter or scissors
- One large plastic bottle
- Aluminum foil
- Create and fill the bowl. Fashion a bowl using an aluminum foil. Poke three small holes at the bottom to allow airflow. Then, fill it with herbs and set aside.
- Make the carb. Poke a small hole at the bottom of the bottle. Make sure that it is big enough to allow water to flow through it but small enough to cover with a finger.
- Fill the bottle with water. With a finger covering the carb hole, fill the bottle with water up to just a few centimeters from the top.
- Fill with smoke. Attach the bowl over the bottle neck opening. Light the herbs and let go of the carb hole. The negative pressure created by escaping water draws in the smoke.
- Begin smoking. One the smoke-filled bottle is empty of water, cover the carb hole again. Remove the bowl and place the mouth over the opening. Let go of the carb hole again and inhale the smoke.
4. Tic Tac Bong
Even when on the go, the plastic container of tic tac could also be fashioned into a workable pipe. It easily fits the pocket and while minute in size, is still able to deliver a satisfying hit.
- An empty tic tac pack (preferably large)
- Used marker pen
- A small knife, scissors, screwdriver (anything that can poke a hole)
- Aluminum foil
- Creating the downstem. Take the metal casing of the marker pen, and cut it in half. Also cut off the closed end of the marker, leaving only the tube.
- Poke a hole. Locate the side opposite the opening of the package. Then, at the middle part, poke a hole with a knife or with a screwdriver. Make sure that it is big enough for the downstem but not enough to let smoke seep through.
- Join the downstem with the chamber. Insert the hollow tube through the hole at an angle that allows the outside to point upwards. Secure the rest of the hole with adhesive.
- Making the Bowl. Form a bowl out of the aluminum foil. Poke three to four small holes at the bottom to allow air to flow. Secure it over the downstem by having excess trimmings “wrap” around the end of the tube.
- Create the carb. Fashioning a carb is optional but it does provide for an easy way to breathe in smoke. A hole could be poked the bottom of the pack for this purpose.
- Begin Smoking. Fill the bowl with the desired cannabis strains. Place the mouth over the lid of the tic tac pack while covering the carb hole with a finger. Light up the herbs and wait for the packet to fill with smoke. Let go of the carb hole and draw in the smoke.
5. Water Bottle Bong
The water bottle bong employs the same techniques and principles as the tic tac bong. This homemade pipe, however, cannot be used for a long time because the heat of the smoke may melt the plastic over time. It is only good for emergency smoking sessions or for traveling outdoors.
- An empty water bottle
- Used ball-point pen
- A pair of scissors
- Prepare the downstem. Remove the casing of the ball-point pen until only an empty tube is left.
- Attach the downstem to the bottle. Using scissors, make a small hole to allow it to be fixed to the water bottle. Then, insert the tube at an angle that will enable it to point upward.
- Make the bowl. There are two options. (1) The cone-shaped tip of the ball-point pen could be used to hold the cannabis. (2) Fashion a bowl using aluminum foil and then poking three holes at the bottom.
- Make a carb. Poke a small hole at the bottom part of the bottle. This will act as the carb hole.
- Begin smoking. Pack the bowl lightly with dried herbs then use as a regular pipe. The bottle’s opening at the top will serve as the mouthpiece.
6. Pen Pipe
Quite possibly the simplest homemade pipe anyone could make. One major drawback of the pen pipe, however, is its small size which does not allow for much smoke to be inhaled. Nevertheless, whether you’ve got a fat bag of NYC Diesel Feminized or Alien OG it is perfect for people looking to get a quick high in the absence of other paraphernalia.
- A used ball-point pen
- Empty the pen. Remove the ink chamber and the closed cap at the end of the pen. Do not throw away the nib (or the cone-shaped tip of the pen) as it will serve as the bowl.
- Attach the bowl. Attach the smaller end of the nib to one end of the hollow tube.
- Begin smoking. Pack a small amount of cannabis onto the cone. Light the herbs and then inhale from the other end of the pen.