Every sweet tooth out there knows that an energizing sugar rush is not just a myth, and that a good dessert can significantly increase the level of the happiness hormone, endorphin, in one’s body. Luckily for us, some genius once decided to combine the pleasure of eating sweets with getting a high from cannabis, and edibles flooded our world. Today, we want to introduce to you a recipe for a weed-infused chocolate cupcake worthy of the best coffee shops around the world!
Chocolate weed cupcakes with caramel
This recipe might catch inexperienced bakers off-guard, but trust us, you shouldn’t be intimidated! Yes, the list of ingredients and steps is quite long, but the results are sure to exceed your expectations. The reward for all your hard work in the kitchen is a decadent and moist chocolate cupcake with a sweet heart and a fluffy top made of salted caramel buttercream. Heaven!
For this recipe, you’re going to need a pretty standard set of baking equipment. The one appliance that’s absolutely essential here for achieving the best possible texture of both the cupcake and the buttercream is a mixer. It doesn’t matter if it’s a fancy stand mixer or just a hand one! However, a simple whisk might not be effective enough.
- A mixer
- Muffin tins
- 2 saucepans (although you can make it work with 1 if necessary)
- Cupcake papers
- A candy thermometer (optional)
- A piping bag or spatula for decorating
Don’t let the lengthy list of ingredients scare you – with our detailed step-by-step instructions, bakers of any level will be ready to fill their fridge with tasty and heavy-hitting bits of this chocolate and caramel delight.
For the Cupcakes
To make the batter for 36 mini (or 18 regular) chocolate cupcakes, you’ll need to prepare the following ingredients:
- Sugar – 450g (1 lb) or 2 cups
- Brown sugar – 200g (7 oz) or 1 cup
- Eggs – 4
- Oil – 2 cups
- Milk (lukewarm) – 2 cups
- All-purpose flour – 450g (1 lb) (you can substitute it 1/1 for cake flour)
- Cocoa powder – 113g (4 oz)
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Unsweetened chocolate – 113g (4 oz)
For the Caramel Sauce
To make the cupcakes truly special, you can’t skip the caramel sauce. This will become the base for our buttercream and the perfect finishing touch, our caramel drizzle. The ingredients are as follows:
- Heavy cream – 1 and ¼ cup
- Cannabutter (check out our recipe) – 5 tbsp
- Sea salt – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 and ½ cups
- Corn syrup – ¼ cup
- Water – ¼ cup
For the salted Caramel Buttercream
Finally, you’re going to use the freshly-made caramel for the buttercream. Besides the caramel itself, you’re going to add just two more simple ingredients:
- Butter – 220g (8 oz)
- Confectioners’ sugar (sifted) – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
How To Make Weed Cupcakes: Directions
To create the multiple layers of crave-worthy taste, we’ll make three separate parts of the canna dessert: the cupcake base, the THC-infused salted caramel and the salted caramel buttercream.
Making The Cupcakes
To make the actual sponge for our cupcakes, we’ll cover five steps in total. The best part about it is that the cupcakes will have a rich taste and light texture, but most of the work to achieve this result will be done by your mixer.
Step 1: Beat Sugar And Eggs Together
To start off, you need to beat both the regular sugar and brown sugar together with 4 eggs. Using your mixer, beat the eggs until they turn into fluffy yellowish foam and gradually add brown and regular sugar – the order is not important.
Step 2: Add Oil And Milk To The Mix
Slowly add your oil to the mixture, then the milk. Remember that the milk shouldn’t be cold. If everything is done correctly, you’ll see the mixture emulsify. Keep beating for a little longer and get to the next step.
Step 3: Sift And Add The Dry Ingredients
For this step, you need to sift all the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and add them into the mix of sugar, eggs, oil and milk. Sifting them will add some extra air and lightness to the batter. You can choose to either mix all of them first and then sift them together into the liquid, or sift and add them one by one. If you choose the latter, we recommend adding the flour last so as not to beat the batter for too long – if you overmix the flour, you risk ending up with denser and dryer cupcakes.
Step 4: Add Melted Chocolate
Melt the chocolate in the microwave (10 seconds at a time and stirring after each turn) or in a double boiler. Add it to the batter and beat a little more until the melted chocolate is fully incorporated into the mix – you’ll know that by the even color and consistency of the batter.
Step 5: Fill The Tins And Bake
You’re done with the batter! Now it’s time to line your tins with cupcake papers and bake everything in the oven at 180 C (350 F) for 10-15 minutes if you’re making mini weed cupcakes, and for 20-25 minutes if you’re making regular-sized cupcakes. It may take a little longer than this depending on your oven – just insert a toothpick in the middle of one of the cupcakes to check. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready. Take them out to cool to room temperature.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cannabis infused oil
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl beat together the cannabis oil, oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with an electric mixer.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl and mix just until smooth.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare icing, beat together cream cheese, butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Lower mixer speed and slowly beat in confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Increase speed and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spread icing over completely cooled cupcakes, leaving a small rim unfrosted to allow the cake to peak through.