With so many cannabis companies creating an amazing array of products that fit into different lifestyles, it’s an exciting time to try out new cannabis concoctions.
There are now several sugar-free cannabis products — especially edibles and beverages — designed for people who want a tasty but healthier high.
Whether you’re on a Keto or Whole30 diet, you’re simply looking to be more health-conscious or you’re curious to try the latest and greatest cannabis products, here are the sugar-free cannabis products we’re loving right now.
READING LABELS: HOW TO SPOT SUGAR BY ANOTHER NAME
First, a few basics you can use when you’re in a dispensary. Many products that contain sugar don’t actually list “sugar” on the ingredients list. In fact, there are at least 61 other names for sugar on food packaging. Some common ones are:
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Barley malt
- Agave nectar
SUGAR ALTERNATIVES POPPING UP IN CANNABIS-INFUSED EDIBLES AND DRINKS
The Biggie: xylitol
With a sweetness similar to sugar, xylitol is extracted from corn or birch wood and found in many fruits and vegetables. It contains 2.4 calories per gram or 40% fewer calories than sugar. Xylitol doesn’t raise blood sugar or insulin levels, which is important to note, because most of the harmful effects associated with sugar are due to its high fructose content. Xylitol has none.
Sugar Alternatives That Experts Say Are Better in Moderation
- Honey: Say thanks to the bees. Honey has trace amounts of vitamins and minerals and an abundance of beneficial antioxidants, shown to raise the level of antioxidants in your blood, which is linked to a lower risk of disease. Honey does, however, still contain fructose, so consume in moderation.
- Stevia: Native to South America, stevia has been used for hundreds of years to support healthy blood sugar levels and prompt weight loss. It has zero calories, zero carbohydrates and none of the nasty side effects of artificial sweeteners.
- Coconut sugar: Made from extracted sap from the blooms of coconut and then heated, coconut sugar has a low glycemic load and rich mineral content.
- Fruit juices: Many of your favorite fruits are naturally sweet (apples, berries, stone fruit, pears, and grapes) and perfect ingredients to sweeten up edible products.
7 GREAT SUGAR-FREE CANNABIS EDIBLES AND BEVERAGES
1. Kiva Petra Mints, $16
100mg per container, 2.5mg each THC (or some CBD options), 40 mints per tin
California’s first microdosed cannabis-infused mint, Kiva Petra Mints are discreet, portable and designed for the new or even a seasoned cannabis user looking for a consistent, low-dose of THC throughout the day. All Petra flavors are gluten and sugar-free, vegan and made with xylitol.
“I love Petra Mints for their great taste and reliable microdosing abilities. They’re also perfect to consume sublingually to relieve headaches, I always keep a tin in my bag.”
– Murphy, Caliva’s Education and Training Supervisor
Ingredients: xylitol, dextrin, rebiana (stevia), malic acid, citric acid, natural flavors, fruit & vegetable juice for color, cannabis extract, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, vegetable oil
2. Somatik Cold Brew Coffee, $8
1:1 (5mg THC : 5mg CBD) or 10 mg THC
Queer-owned in the heart of San Francisco, Somatik’s Cold Brew Coffee features ethically and sustainably harvested coffee in the Gigantes region of Colombia. Coffee is brewed in small batches, then infused and bottled by hand. With rich and creamy notes of chocolate, dried cherry and currant — and no added sugar – Somatik Cold Brew Coffee works in just 15-20 minutes.
“No matter how you like your coffee, hot, cold, black or with milk, Somatik is an excellent way to start your day with a microdose of THC and all the caffeine you’ll need to make sure you don’t get any of that sleepy-edibles feeling.”
Ingredients: filtered water, organic coffee, butane-free THC, vegan protein (used for cannabis infusion)
3. Om Elixirs CBD 1:1 Tincture, $32
150mg CBD and 8 mg THC
Om Edibles is 100% owned and operated by women. Both the Day Time Elixir and the Night-Time Elixir use MCT coconut oil as the base, and these products are vegan as well as alcohol, gluten and sugar-free. Enjoy the Elixirs on their own or add them to your favorite beverage.
“For those who want an elixir-type tincture for help getting to sleep and staying asleep, Om Edible’s Night Time Multi-Herb Elixir is a powerful and affordable choice.”
Ingredients: MCT coconut oil, sun grown cannabis flowers, cannabis concentrate
4. Dr. Delights Relieve CBD Tincture, $40
9.68mg THC 314.84mg CBD,30ml, 1Fl oz.
A homegrown business based in Santa Cruz, Dr. Delights products are all-natural and filler-free. Dr. Delights Relieve CBD Tincture is infused with natural oils, natural terpenes, and a great-smelling concoction of essential oils.
Ingredients: full-spectrum THC, full-spectrum CBD, grapeseed oil, beeswax, avocado oil, olive oil, vitamin E, essential oils (arnica, yarrow, wintergreen, birch, lavender, rosemary) and plant-derived terpenes
5. Absolute Xtracts Lagunitas Hi-Fi Hops 1:1 (Stevia), $8
5mg of THC, 5mg of CBD, 12fl oz.
AbsoluteXtracts partnered with Bay Area neighbor and world-famous beer crafter, Lagunitas Brewing Company, to bring the first-ever craft cannabis and hops sparkling beverage. With zero alcohol, zero calories and zero carbs, this IPA-inspired sparkling beverage is Infused with a balanced mix of THC and CBD.
“It looks like cloudy Sprite, smells like an IPA, and tastes like a La Croix frolicked in a hop field. Zero alcohol, zero calories, zero carbs, and either 5 or 10 milligrams of THC, cannabis’ main active ingredient. Hallelujah.”
Ingredients: carbonated water, liquid stevia leaf extract, dried hops, food-grade lactic acid, nutritional brewers yeast, cannabis oil, olive oil, natural flavors
Sugar Free Edibles Recipes
This year has been quite exciting for cannabis edibles. The popularity of cooking with weed is on the rise as users are sharing exciting creations, enhancing flavor to popular recipes.
Feel like cooking with pot, too? Here are the top five weed-infused recipes you can make at home.
Strawberry Weed Jam
If you are craving a delicious PB&J sandwich, this weed-infused strawberry jam will give you a striking high for breakfast or lunch.
What You Need:
- 4 grams of marijuana
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 6 cups of strawberries
How To Prepare:
- Decarb the weed by baking for about 30 minutes and add it to a mason jar along with the maple syrup.
- Fill a saucepan with water until it’s half full and place in the mason jar.
- Heat the pan for about an hour on low heat.
- Strain the mixture from the jar with a cheesecloth and let cool.
- In a saucepan, add crushed strawberries, lemon juice and let it dissolve.
- Keep stirring until the mixture stops foaming on the top.
- Remove the jam from heat and add 1/4 cup of the infused maple syrup and chia seeds.
- Your infused strawberry jam is ready for use.
Try these fantastic weed-infused recipes to experience the plant that blends with enchanting flavors.
Cannabis Infused Popsicles (Vegan, Paleo and Keto friendly)
Unlike the ice cream from my childhood memories, these are vegan, paleo and keto friendly and are made using just 5 ingredients.
Just a popsicle with fruit, coconut, and cannabis in it.
After one batch of these cannabis-infused popsicles, you’ll see how simple and easy it is to make an infinite variety of these chill summer treats.
On that note, this may turn into a cannabis popsicle blog for the next couple of months, so stay tuned!
You can easily make this recipe using CBD by dropping in your favorite CBD product or making homemade CBD oil.
I made this popsicles at a 1:1 ratio using my CBD oil recipe combined with my cannabis coconut oil recipe.
You can increase or decrease the dosage and change the ratio by using THC/CBD dosage calculator.
After getting tons of questions about molds every time I post a recipe, I’m now adding it in the post directly.
I tried several different popsicle molds over the years before I got this one.
It’s sturdy and it makes 12 good sized popsicles. This recipe will fit almost perfectly into that mold, so you’ll have to adjust if you’re using something else.
Marijuana Infused Popsicle Recipe
1. In a food processor, combine:
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons maple or stevia to taste
- 4 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp of cbd oil recipe (which comes out to approximately 50mgs CBD) and 2 tsp of the cannabis infused coconut oil (which comes out to about 60mgs THC)
I prefer a 1:1 ratio, but you can adjust the dosage in this recipe using the dosage calculator.
2. Pour 2 Tablespoons of the blueberry mixture into each section of the mold
3. Freeze for 15 minutes
4. Rinse out the food processor and combine:
- Remaining can of coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
5. Pour into the mold to about ⅔ full
6. Freeze for 15 minutes
7. Rinse out the food processor and puree:
- 3/4 lb. fresh strawberries.
8. Freeze for 1 hr
9. Insert sticks
10. Freeze for another 4 hours
Remember to always start low and go slow, even if you are 99% sure you know how potent you made these and what your perfect dose. Accidents happen.